Scratch is the best educational programming software for kids available today. With Scratch, you can create games and interactive art projects all while having lots of fun! Designed by the MIT Media Lab’s Lifelong Kindergarten Group for 8 to 16-year-olds, Scratch is a free programming environment that runs in your web browser. But Scratch users consist of people of all ages, including younger children with their parents. The software makes it easy for anyone to start developing their programming and problem-solving skills.
The Udemy course “Scratch Game Programming for Young Adults” (and supplemental book) covers the creation of several classic games like Brick Breaker, Snake, and Fruit Ninja. Instead of memorizing a list of programming concepts, you’re guided through making these games and picking up programming concepts on the way. The lectures follow the 6 game and computer art projects, along with additional content on debugging and experimenting with Scratch.
This course won’t make you a software engineer or app developer, but it can provide kids with fun activities and give parents and K-12 teachers the training they need to help children learn to code. By the end of this course, you’ll have a solid understanding of Scratch and its community of millions of users..
Scratch Game Programming for Young Adults – Course Content
This course is a fun guide to programming for kids and teens or adults who want to help kids learn to code. In the course, you’ll learn to program 6 different video games and interactive art projects. You’ll figure out how to experiment with Scratch to continue learning, and you’ll share and show off projects to others in the Scratch community.
The course comprises 32 Lectures organized into the following sections:
- Getting Started
- Rainbow Lines Project
- The Scratch Help System and Paint Editor
- Maze Game Project
- Extend the Maze Game Project
- Basketball Game Project
- Extend the Basketball Game Project
- Brick Breaker Game Project
- Extend the Brick Breaker Game Project
- Snake Game Project
- Extend the Snake Game Project
- Fruit Slicer Game Project
- How to use a mouse (right-clicking, dragging).
- Typing proficiency is helpful but not required.
- No previous programming experience is needed.
Summary of Course Main Features
- Instructor: Al Sweigart, Software developer, tech book author
- Lectures: 32
- On-demand video: 6.5 hours
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Price: $34.99 (Click the link below for details of any special offers on this course)