Learn how journalists can use online tools and practices, as well as the digital challenges facing modern journalists.
The free ALISON online course “Journalism in the Digital Age” provides essential information on the tools and practices used by journalists online, from the use of social media to online safety to ethical issues faced by professional and citizen journalists. The course covers the digital dimensions of journalistic safety, new reporting methods such as crowdsourcing and social media, and how to use good graphics, photos and video to add visual appeal.
This course will be of great interest to journalists and students who want to improve their understanding of the use of the web and online digital tools for journalism, as well as emerging online safety issues and digital developments.
Journalism in the Digital Age – Course Content
The course provides information on the varying web tools and practices used by journalists online, from the use of social media to online safety to ethical issues faced by professional and citizen journalists. It includes the following topics:
- The digital dimensions of journalistic safety such as awareness raising, digital security, safety assistance and research;
- Online security and how software viruses have the capacity to collect, analyze and store digital communications;
- How journalists and others who contribute to journalism are now experiencing threats on multiple platforms such as online abuse, cyberstalking and harassment;
- New reporting methods and how journalists need to become as efficient as possible by embracing technology and using the power of the online community to help with their reporting;
- Different tools such as crowdsourcing, distributed and open source reporting, and the use of social media;
- The basic processes and approaches involved in online blogging;
- How to cultivate a community with readers to test ideas, receive feedback and publish in the timeliest manner possible;
- The use of good graphics, photos and video and the tools involved;
- The essential elements of a news package and how to set a news agenda online;
- Utilizing online research methods and strategies to provide information;
- Broadcast and script writing techniques, and how these create the framework for your words, sound and video to tell the story.
Summary of Main Course Features
- Duration: 2-3 Hours
- Publisher: Advance Learning Academy
- Assessments: Yes
- Certification: Yes
- Minimum Grade/Class Level: Third Level
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.