“Introduction to Community Development” is the first in a series of ALISON free online courses that will introduce you to the concept of community development, what you need to do to get a community group started and how to organize a community group to take action. Using community health as a springboard for understanding community development, you will learn about the values, concepts, and practices commonly found in the community development sector.
This course will be of great interest to professionals or volunteers working in community development and with community organizations. It will also be of interest to learners who would like to know more about community development and its role in changing and improving local communities.
Introduction to Community Development Course Content
In this course, you will learn how community development groups can bring change to and improve local communities. You will learn how to define the community and its characteristics, and identify an issue to be actioned within the community. You will look at the various roles within a community group and the strategies it can use to further its objectives.
The course includes the following topics:
- Community development values, concepts, and practices;
- Community asset mapping;
- Community development strategies and features;
- Success factors in community partnerships and collaborations;
- The five common stages of group development;
- Characteristics of an effective team;
- The stages of strategic planning and analysis;
- Governance and the key areas to be monitored.
Summary of Main Course Features
- Publisher: Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition
- Duration: 2-3 Hours
- Assessments: Yes
- Certification: Yes
- Minimum Grade/Class Level: Third Level
Visit the Course Page