The free online course in Introduction to Ecology provides detailed information about the different types of ecosystems, terrestrial and aquatic biomes, and the effects of climate change on biodiversity.
Introduction to Ecology – Course Content
The course includes the following topics:
- The scope of ecology and biogeography with a focus on the distribution of plant and animal species and their impact on the terrestrial environment.
- How to differentiate between ecological patterns and processes at different scales and levels of biological organization (population, community and ecosystem).
- How to identify and recognize the distinguishing characteristics of terrestrial and aquatic biomes.
- Animal and plant distribution, abundance and biodiversity.
- How plants and animals absorb energy and nutrients from the ecosystem around them.
- How species interact with each other.
- The biology of various habitats from marine and freshwater to terrestrial habitats and the soil.
- Climate and the effects of global climate change.
- Greenhouse gases and their role in the greenhouse effect.
- The interaction between humans, animals and the environment with specific reference to the effects of modern technological advances.
- The role ecology plays in conservation, wetland and natural resource management, forestry, agriculture and fisheries.
The course will be ideal for professionals working in the area of biology, ecology or environmental science, for students who wish to pursue a career in the sciences, or for those who simply want to learn more about building a sustainable existence on this planet.
Summary of Main Features
Duration: 2-3 Hours