Dave is a musician from London, who feels that music brings people together and teaches us about ourselves and the world around us, that music helps to heal and helps people to grow in confidence and express their ideas, and that everyone should have the opportunity to learn about music and explore this wonderful world. He was inspired by non-profit educational sites like Khan Academy who teach millions of people for free. So in 2011, Dave created a free online music school – the Dave Conservatoire – aiming to provide a world-class music education for everyone, no matter what their circumstances.
Dave has made over 250 video music lessons and exercises and delivered over 1,500,000 lessons and exercises to over 250,000 students in over 100 countries.
What to expect
The Dave Conservatoire website is divided into
Section 1 – Music: A Beginner’s Guide
- Love music? Want to learn about how it works? This is the place to start!
Section 2 – Reading Music
- How can learning to read some lines and squiggles help me learn other people’s music? Find out here!
Section 3 – Ear Training
- Learning to Listen!
Section 4 – Test Preparation
- Exam Papers provided by www.musictheoryhelp.co.uk
Section 5 – Improvisation with Harry the Piano
- Do you know how to play C major? Want to improvise in over 20 styles? Check out our fantastic new course with piano superstar Harry the Piano
Section 6 – Introduction to Sonic Pi
- Compose music with your computer using a piece of software called Sonic Pi (www.sonic-pi.net)