Learn basic Java programming by developing a simple mobile game
This free online course from the University of Reading in the UK will help you to understand how programs work and guide you through creating your own computer program – a mobile game. This course provides a challenging but fun way to start programming in Java.
Over seven weeks, the course will cover:
- The basic constructs that are used in many programming languages;
- How to create algorithms to solve problems and translate these into code;
- Using Google’s Android Studio as the platform for programming;
- Putting this knowledge into practice by creating a game.
- The course will combine video introductions, on-screen examples, downloadable guides, articles and discussions to help you understand the principles behind computer programs and the building blocks that are used to create them. Multiple choice quizzes will help you to check your understanding, while exercises each week will show you how to use your new skills to improve your game.
Summary of Main Course Features
- FREE online course
- Duration: 7 weeks
- 4 hours per week
- Certificates available
- Educators: Karsten Øster Lundqvist and Timothy Threadgold
- You don’t need any knowledge of coding to take part.
- We recommend a computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) that has a dual-core processor and a minimum of 2GB of RAM.
- We recommend that you have an Android device (such as a phone or tablet) running at least Android 2.2 on which you can test and run your game.