Digital data can be obtained from social media, images, audio recordings and sensors, and electronic data is quite often available as real-time data streams. Many of these datasets have the potential to provide solutions to important problems, and advice on making decisions in health, science, sociology, engineering, business, information technology, and government. However, the size, complexity, quality and diversity of these datasets often make them difficult to process and analyze using standard statistical methods, software or equipment. For this reason, we use new technological or methodological solutions.
Get a practical insight into big data analytics, and popular tools and frameworks for collecting, storing and managing data with this free online course “Big Data: From Data to Decisions“.
Big Data: From Data to Decisions – Course Content
This course demonstrates a unique, multi-faceted approach to big data. It will show you how you can meet the demand for analytics in your field. Topics include:
- Introduction to big data;
- Overview of statistical and mathematical approaches to analyzing big data;
- Real-world case studies of getting from data to decisions;
- Some of the tools you can use for storing and managing large datasets.
- A basic knowledge of software engineering, statistics and mathematics will help you gain the most from this learning experience.
- In this course, you will be using Cloudera CDH, an open source platform for data management and analytics. Visit the Cloudera CDH download page for information on system requirements.
Summary of Main Course Features
- Educators: Tomasz Bednarz and Kerrie Mengersen
- Duration: 2 weeks x 2 hours per week
- Starts: 4 April 2016
- Certificates available