Data is everywhere and can be obtained from many different sources. Digital data can be obtained from social media, images, audio recordings and sensors, and electronic data is quite often available as real-time data streams. Many of these datasets have the potential to provide solutions to important problems, and advice in making decisions in health, science, sociology, engineering, business, information technology, and government. However, the size, complexity, quality and diversity of these datasets often make them difficult to process and analyse using standard statistical methods, software or equipment.
Take a unique, multi-faceted approach to big data with the free online course “Big Data: From Data to Decisions”
Big Data: From Data to Decisions – Course Content
This course uses a unique, multi-faceted approach to big data and will enable you to gain the big data analytics skills that are in demand today. It will give you a practical insight into big data analytics, and popular tools and frameworks for collecting, storing and managing data. The course includes the following topics:
- Big data and some of the statistical and mathematical approaches for analysing it;
- Real-world case studies demonstrating the power of big data and the process of getting from data to decisions;
- Some of the tools you can use for storing and managing large datasets.
This course is one of four in the Big Data Analytics program on FutureLearn from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Mathematical and Statistical Frontiers at Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
Summary of Main Course Features
- Educators: Tomasz Bednarz, Kerrie Mengersen, Phil Gough, Miles McBain, Samuel Rathmanner and Matthew Sutton
- In association with: ARC Centre of Excellence for Mathematical and Statistical Frontiers
- Start Date: 8 Aug 2016
- Duration: 2 weeks x 2 hours per week
- Certificates available