This free online course will help you develop an understanding of the basic genealogy techniques and how to communicate your family history.
The course will not concentrate on a specific country’s records or how to source these, so it will be useful to anyone around the world.
The knowledge you gain from this course may prompt you to explore family history research more deeply or consider a career as a professional genealogist.
Genealogy: Researching Your Family Tree – Course Content
The course includes the following topics:
- Define what you want to research;
- How to find and analyse sources;
- Finding the right person among a number of possible candidates, with ever-changing spellings of surnames;
- The potential of DNA testing as applied to genealogy;
- How to record and communicate research findings in a clear fashion, including creating a family tree;
- Adding historical context to your family history;
- How to write a meaningful family history.
No special knowledge or previous experience of studying is required.
Summary of Main Course Features
- Educator: Tahitia McCabe
- Publisher: University of Strathclyde
- Duration: 6 weeks
- 4 hours per week
- Certificates available