Planet Earth is unique in the Solar System as it has just the right systems and resources to give rise to life. Learn about the earth and the solar system in this free online course Exploring Planet Earth – Its Systems and Resources from the Open University UK. It should be of interest to anyone who wants to understand better our physical place in the universe.
Exploring Planet Earth Course Content
This free online course will review the systems and resources found on Earth such as the flow of energy around the planet, the cycling of matter, the Earth’s atmosphere and biosphere, and the water, mineral, soil and biological resources. The course reviews the impact humans are having on these systems and resources.
The content is organized into ten modules as follows:
- Module 1: The Flow of Energy and Cycling of Matter – including the water cycle and Earth’s biogeochemical systems;
- Module 2: The Solid Earth – the geology of the planet;
- Module 3: The Earth’s Atmosphere – and ocean currents;
- Module 4: The Earth’s Biosphere – its organisms and biomes;
- Module 5: Groundwater and Surface Water – and the hydrological cycle;
- Module 6: Mineral Resources – and how they are mined for extraction;
- Module 7: Soil Resources – soil types, soil characteristics and soil conservation;
- Module 8: Biological Resources
- Module 9: Air, Soil and Water Pollutants – and its effects on wildlife
- Module 10: Managing Land Use – such as residential uses, wilderness uses and recreational uses
This course will be of great interest to professionals working in areas related to the environmental sciences or earth sciences, to all teachers of geography and science, and to students who are thinking of a career in the environmental sciences or earth sciences.
Summary of Main Course Features
Duration: 2-3 Hours